These simple vegan pancakes can be mixed up in just one bowl – perfect for a relaxing, egg-free breakfast. Serve them hot and fresh in a stack with your favorite toppings.
150g plain flour (aka all-purpose flour)
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8th teaspoon salt
225g soy milk
50g light olive oil
1-2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
1. Place all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix until evenly distributed.
2. Add the wet ingredients and stir until smooth. Do not stir any longer
than needed to form a smooth batter. Over-mixing pancakes makes them
tough. Set your batter aside for about ten minutes to thicken.
3. Add a tablespoon of margarine to a large frying pan and heat until
it’s sizzling and steaming. Add ¼ cup portions of the batter to form
each pancake – leaving space between them as they will expand a bit.
4. When the tops of the pancakes start to bubble all over, flip them and
cook until the other side is golden. Add more margarine as needed. If
you want a richer, more buttery flavor, use the margarine generously.
5. Serve fresh and hot with your favorite toppings.
Ben is a food lover and keen cook who has gone vegan. In 2018 he launched Vegan Recipe Bowl, a rapidly expanding resource for anyone who's looking to include more plant-based foods in their daily life. His mother – who worked as a chef for many years – has been a huge influence on Ben’s love for good food and teaching him how to cook and develop recipes. He also brings to his blog a background in chemistry to allow him to dig deep into the task of re-imagining traditional recipes with 100% plant-based ingredients.