This Spanish Potato Omelette (Tortilla de Patatas) used to be made with chicken eggs. A chickpea batter can replace eggs in omelettes. One cup of chickpea flour provides 21g of plant protein. The potatoes provide 19g of plant protein. Enjoy this easy meal for Meatless Monday! Recipe courtesy of Chef Linda of Esther's Kitchen!
Cuisine: Esther Approved, Vegan, Egg-free, Main Entree
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 28-30 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Author: Chef Linda | Esther's Kitchen
2 Tablespoons olive oil + 2 teaspoons divided
1-1/2 lbs or approximately 700g yellow potatoes, diced small or sliced into 1/4” thick small slices
1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
1 cup chickpea (besan) flour
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon Kala Namak salt, plus extra at serving
1. Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick 10” sauté pan. Add the potatoes, sea salt and onion powder. Sauté on medium heat for approximately 15 minutes. You want to cook the potatoes slow.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, whisk the chickpea flour, warm water, onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon Kala Namak salt together in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, transfer them in the mixing bowl with the batter. Stir until the potatoes are coated.
4. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to the same sauté pan. Heat the pan over medium heat. Pour the potatoes and batter in the pan. Smooth the surface and run a silicone spatula around the edges to pull the omelette away from the sides of the pan.
5. Add the lid and cook on medium heat for 8 minutes. Remove the lid and shift the pan to ensure the omelette is not sticking to the bottom. Place a wet plate on top of the pan. Flip the omelette on the plate. Slide the omelette back into the pan to cook the other side. Cook for 5 minutes uncovered over medium heat.
6. Slide the omelette out again onto a dry serving plate. Slice and serve.
Additional Kala Namak salt and black pepper, nondairy cheese, sliced tomatoes and hot sauce are featured on the slice in the photo.