Try this Savory Fried Tofu Egg Breakfast Sandwich recipe courtesy of Chef Linda of Esther's Kitchen!
Cuisine: Esther Approved, Vegan, Egg-free, Contains Soy, Gluten-free (tofu egg only)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-10 minutes
Yields: 2 Savory Fried Tofu Eggz, 1 or 2 breakfast sandwiches option
Author: Chef Linda | Esther's Kitchen
Our technique of spreading melted non-dairy butter on the tofu then pressing it in the seasoning blend takes tofu to another delicious level!
2 (1/2” thick) slices firm tofu, sliced lengthwise from block, shaped into round disks with a metal biscuit or donut cutter, water lightly pressed out
4 grinds ground black pepper
3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon Kala Namak sulphuric salt, add more at serving if desired
1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pinch of ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons nondairy buttery spread, melted in a small bowl or saucepan
1 - 2 non-dairy cheeze slices (Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda was used here.)
1 or 2 Esther Approved English Muffins
1. Mix all of the seasonings in a small shallow dish. Level out the seasonings by shifting the dish.
2. Lightly brush the melted nondairy butter on each side of the tofu rounds. There will be remaining nondairy butter left that you will add later to the sauté pan.
3. Press the two tofu rounds into the mixture. Flip over and press again.
4. Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, place the tofu rounds in the pan. Pour the remaining melted nondairy butter around each tofu round. Press the remaining seasonings on the top of each tofu round.
5. Fry each side for 3-5 minutes, turning only once.
6. Add the cheeze slices on each tofu after the first flip. Place the lid on the pan or tent foil over the tofu to melt the cheeze.
7. Toast your English muffins. Add the Fried Tofu Eggz. Enjoy as is or add meatless bacon, meatless sausage, sliced tomatoes, spinach, ketchup, hot sauce.